Your School Library Media Specialist (SLMS) or "Librarian":
Mrs. Sullivan is state-certified as a classroom teacher and literacy specialist with a Masters in Reading Education (Cal State Univ.) and coursework towards a Masters in Library and Information Studies (Univ. Alabama). Many of her responsibilities involve teaching classes and supporting the instructional program of the whole school.
◦ Participate in professional development and organizations.
◦ Advocate for funding.
◦ Promote cooperation between the school and the community.
◦ Organize & manage events like Author Day and Add-A-Book.
◦ Collaborate with teachers at every grade level.
◦ Serve as a resource to teachers and students.
◦ Evaluate information needs of school community.
◦ Update and maintain collection databases.
◦ Discern and master useful information tech and resources.
◦ Share latest trends in information technology instruction.
◦ Assist students and staff with use of the library.
◦ Implement instruction of information skills.
◦ Teach class lessons on fixed and flexible schedule.
◦ Foster a positive learning climate.
◦ Provide systematic collection development including new book purchases and weeding out old/outdated titles.
◦ Participate with Library Aid in circulation desk tasks.
◦ Manage facility use and updates.
◦ Monitor library services, staff, and budget.
Library Aid: Miss Kinnaird is essential to providing flexible scheduling for our library. As such, she supports the librarian and performs administrative tasks including but not limited to:
• Working circulation desk (checkouts, checkins, holds)
• Repair damaged titles & process new titles
• Arrange displays and offer artistic input
• Maintain shelf order
• Assist volunteers and peer helpers
Parent Volunteer Coordinator: Thanks to Mrs. Ann Marie Daughtery for filling this roll in 2019-20:
• Manage volunteer schedule & communications
• Help recruit & train new volunteers
• Coordinate Visiting Author hospitality
The following are some of the ways I am available to collaborate with classroom and specialist teachers to help foster information literacy: